For Sellers

Choosing an Agent

Selling your property is one of the biggest transactions you will undertake in your life. It has the potential to be a very stressful, and time consuming process. The help of an experienced Real Estate agent can take the stress away and free up your time for the more important things.

When choosing an agent, it is extremely important that you choose someone you are comfortable dealing with, and you need to be able to trust and follow their advice throughout the sale process. Our Sales team have not only a wealth of experience in Real Estate (over 80 years combined), their local knowledge is second to none, with all members of our sales team being long term Kalgoorlie Boulder Residents! Several were even born and bred in the Goldfields!

So when it comes to choosing an agent to trust with your property, give one of our experienced Sales Consultants at John Matthew and Sons a call, 9080 1900.


After choosing your agent, they will visit your property to conduct a Market Appraisal. The Sales Consultant will use evidence such as recent homes sold in the area, as well as current homes listed in your area (which are seen as your competition) to help set a comparative market value on your home.

When visiting your home, they will need to know the features of the property, such as bedrooms, bathrooms, utilities connected to the property, and additional features such as outdoor entertaining, pool, sheds and storage.

Once the Sales Consultant has visited your property, they return to the office to investigate the listed and sold properties comparable to your home. The information they collected while at your property regarding its features is then used to find the best possible evidence to help set a price for the appraisal.

The appraisal is then presented to you for your feedback.

It is important to remember that this is a market appraisal, and not a valuation.

Listing your Property

When you have received the appraisal on your property, and are happy to move forward with the listing process, the Sales Consultant will make an appointment with you to fill out the listing paperwork. This paperwork, legally known as ‘Selling Agency Agreement Residential: Exclusive Agency’, sets out the following;

  • Names of official owners
  • Legal address of property
  • For Sale Price
  • Sale terms
  • Fees charged by the agent
  • Marketing budget to be spent on the property
  • Period of Authority (ie how long the property will be listed with the agency for)

When completing the listing authority it is the owners duty to disclose any restrictions that might the sale of the property, as well as rate payments on the property and any building approvals granted.


The moment your property comes on the market, is when it will have the biggest impact. It is important to make sure the first impression is the best. John Matthew and Sons will prepare a marketing schedule to ensure your property not only has the right first impression, but also that it is properly exposed to the market.

If you want the best possible price for your home, it needs to look the best. To ensure this, we highly recommend that a professional photographer be engaged to take photos of your property to properly highlight the features. We work closely with Shane Cullen Photography to get the best possible photos to market your property. Visit his website at to see what he can do for your property.

All properties that are listed with John Matthew and Sons will be put on the internet, not only on our own site, but on some of Australia’s most visited real estate websites. There is also the option to be a feature property on these sites

Our Sales Consultants are also experts at writing creative advertisements to appear in the Real Estate lift out of our local newspaper, as well as ensuring all home opens are correctly displayed encouraging people to visit during those times.

Presenting your Home

There are many small things that can be done to make your property more appealing to buyers. This is a small portion of things which can be helpful;

  • Ensure external areas are well presented, free from rubbish and weeds, all garden beds cultivated and lawns trimmed
  • Paint any faded woodwork or walls
  • Have the home cool in summer and warm in winter
  • Fresh flowers brighten any room
  • Fix any dripping/leaking taps
  • Mask unpleasant aromas (cigarette smoke, animal or food smells) with air fresheners
  • Clean up and declutter all storage areas such as sheds
  • Small repairs can make a big difference – fix loose door knobs and any warped cabinet drawers
  • Make sure your house has been cleaned immediately before the home open

Home Opens

Home opens are a great way for prospective purchasers to inspect your property without the pressure of an appointment. The are also highly beneficial to owners, as they can focus on making the house presentable for a few set occasions, rather than keep the house spotless every day. Home opens are held on the weekend, however for purchasers who are highly interested, they may arrange a follow up viewing during the week.

Offer & Acceptance

Once a potential buyer is interested in the property, and has viewed the property, they may, with the help of the Sales Representative, fill in legal paperwork know as ‘Contract for Sale of Land, or Strata Title by Offer and Acceptance’, or more casually known as ‘The Offer’. This paperwork, once completed by the buyer, will be presented to the seller for their approval. Counter offers can be made by the sellers, which will then be presented back to the buyers. This can go back and forth several times until the price, plus all terms and conditions, are accepted by all parties, both seller and buyer.

There are several important dates on ‘The Offer’

  • Contract Date - This is when the negotiations have ended and the contract has been agreed upon by all parties
  • Deposit Due Date – the date by which the deposit must be paid
  • Finance Approval Date – The date which official finance approval must be received by
  • Unconditional Date - This is when all conditions on the contract have been met, such as building inspections, pest inspections and finance approval
  • Settlement Date – the date on which the ownership of the property is transferred from the seller to the buyer

Prior to settlement, the buyer and their real estate agent are entitled to visit the property to conduct what is referred to as a final inspection, which is a check of the property to make sure all fixtures and fittings are in good working order.

It is also important to remember if the sellers live in the property; the buyer may not get access to the property until midday the day following settlement.


Conveyancing is the transfer of property ownership from one party to another. This exercise is not just a matter of filling out forms. The law associated with conveyancing is complex. That is why it is best to engage a professional Settlement Agent. To find out further info on how a Professional Settlement agent can help you, chat to Borromei Willis Settlements.  Head over to their site at to arrange an appointment.

Smoke Alarms & RCDs

From August 2009 is became state law that residential properties are required to have for every property to have a minimum of 2 Residual Current Devices (RCD’s) installed in the property.  These devices are to be installed by the settlement date and the cost of the seller.  The same law applies to owners with rental properties.  Any residential premises being newly leased must comply from August 2009.  For existing tenants where not new lease is required the owners have until August 2011 to install these devices.   RCD’s save people from electrocution and can protect against fires.  Only a licensed electrician can supply and install the RCDs to the switchboard of the property. For further information on RCDS, please view this Department of Commerce Fact Sheet;

From October 2009 is became legislation that mains powered smoke alarms be fitted to all existing residential properties prior to the sale and when a new tenancy agreement is signed for a rental property.  If there are no changes in the tenancy in the residential property then the smoke alarms must be fitted by October 2011. For further information on hard wired smoke alarms, please read this Department of Fire & Emergency Services Fact Sheet;

For Sale
Browse through our properties for sale
For Rent
Browse through our properties for rent
Find out the market value of your property
Property Management
Why you should engage us to manage your property